Skip to content
Travels of Electricity
How Electricity Can Hurt You
In Case of an Electrical Emergency
Tree & Power Line Safety
Tell Me More
Electrical Safety World Video
Call 811 Before You Dig Video
Find the Hidden Dangers
Make the Safe Choice
Find the Hidden Message
Stay Away From Electrical Equipment
Don’t Mix Electricity and Water
Electricity Decoder Puzzle
66263 Kids Home Electric Safety Inspection
Home Electrical Safety Inspection
Do you use electricity safely in your home?
Print this checklist
and do this inspection with an adult in your family. If you find an hazards, check NEEDS FIXING and then ask an adult to have them fixed.
1. Electric outlets are not overloaded with lots of plugs.
2. Electric cords are in good condition.
3. Electric cords do not run under rugs or furniture legs or near hot appliances.
4. Electric appliances are used away from water.
5. People carry appliances by the handle, not the cord.
6. A multipurpose fire extinguisher is kept on each floor of the house.
7. All danger and warning signs are read and carefully followed.
8. Electric appliances that can get hot—such as heaters, toasters, and light bulbs—are kept away from things that can burn.
9. Safety caps are inserted in outlets when small children are around.
10. Small appliances are turned off and/or unplugged when people leave home.
11. All extension cords, lights, and appliances used outdoors are labeled with a certification for outdoor use.
Go to Top